The Entomological Society of Southern Africa, founded on the 14th of October 1937 at a meeting held at the University of Pretoria, had its genesis in the Pretoria Entomological Club that existed between 1933 and 1936.
The Society, an independent not-for-profit professional society, open to professionals and amateurs interested in entomology, is recognized by the South African Council for Natural Scientific Professions, is affiliated to the Joint Council of Scientific Societies, and is represented on various other scientific bodies.
The aims of the Society were the publication of a journal, the promotion of contact between entomologists through meetings and congresses, and the establishment of a library.
The Journal of the Entomological Society of Southern Africa, was launched in 1939 and the first Memoir appeared in 1947. This journal has since been replaced by a new journal, African Entomology. The newsletter, Rostrum, was first published in 1982.