The Natural Areas Association (NAA) is the only national, non-profit membership organization that is dedicated to the support and advancement of the community of natural areas professionals.
Together, we envision a world where science-based conservation is the bedrock of protecting the beauty and wonder of nature.
Our members work to protect and restore natural areas, ecosystems and landscapes, and include natural lands managers, natural resource managers, land trust staff and volunteers, biologists, ecologists, researchers, policy specialists, educators, students, and anyone with an active interest in environmental conservation and natural areas stewardship.
- Support, nurture and advance the community of NA professionals
- Advance natural area conservation through access to the latest research findings, as well as emerging management techniques and conservation practices
- Promote an understanding and appreciation of natural areas, and the people who work to steward them
- Advocate for legislation that supports and funds initiatives important to natural areas
- Reflect the consensus of natural areas professionals through statements of policy on protection and management
To do this, we:
- Foster a community of professionals that come together to find solutions to our shared challenges
- Hold the Natural Areas Conference, the premier gathering of natural areas professionals
- Publish Natural Areas Journal, a peer-reviewed, internationally recognized journal for scientists and natural areas professionals that provides opportunities for researchers to share research results and best management practices
- Publish the Natural Area News e-newsletter. Subscribe now.
- Invest in the next generation of natural area managers through conference scholarships and programming, awards and career guidance
- Maintain strategic partnerships with federal and state land managers, private conservation organizations and universities, which enables us to share ideas and best practices
- Advocate with decision makers in Washington, D.C. on behalf of our members and pushing for legislation that supports natural areas professionals and the protection and management of natural areas
NAA’s vision is broader and better protection of the world’s natural areas. This vision includes:
- The expansion of existing protected areas
- The creation of new natural preserves
- Adequate resources to protect natural areas into the future
- Increased recognition and appreciation for the beauty and value of nature
- Establishing conservation priorities based on sound science